How to apply for Service Tax Registration?
What is Service Tax?
Service Tax, as the name suggests is a tax on services. It is an indirect tax that is levied by the Central Government on services provided by a service provider. The service provider needs to collect it from the receiver and remit it as per Service Tax Rules. Service tax is regulated by the CBEC, that is, Central Board of Excise and Customs. The CBEC provides the portal for online Service Tax Registration.
Presently the rate of Service Tax is 15% in which 0.5% is the Swachh Bharat Tax is already included on total. With effect from 1st June, 2016 additional 0.5% tax is levied termed as the Krishi Kalyan Cess. This will total up the Service Tax to 15%. Service Tax doesn't have a separate act and is applicable through Finance Act, 1994.
Service Tax Registration
According to Finance Act, 1994 service tax is applicable on services mentioned in it and those who provide such services must apply for service tax registration. As per the Rules, every service provider that has or is expected to render services of value more than ₹9 lacs in any financial year must get himself mandatorily registered. He should immediately apply for service tax number. If in case the value of services fall below the limit of ₹9 lacs then it is up to the discretion of the provider whether he wants to register or not.
Online Service Tax Registration Procedure
The process of online service tax registration is quite simple. A person needs to fill in the Form ST-1 and submit it electronically.
- For new users first an account needs to be created. Visit www.aces.gov.in and create an account. Enter all the mandatory details asked.
- You will receive a password on your e-mail id. Login and change your password.
- Open REG Tab and fill Form ST-1. An assessee can add as many services as he wants. Submit the form.
- Print the acknowledgment slip along with the Form. Sign it and submit it at the Commissionerate.
- The Superintendant will then either issue Service Tax Certificate or reject the application within the next 2 days.
- If accepted, you will receive certificate in Form ST-2 either online or by post.
I hope this article on 'Online procedure for Service Tax Registration' was useful for you. For more information you can visit www.registrationsindia.com
Let us know your Registration, Taxation & Compliance Requirements